CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER (CFO)
Return to Search • Email to a Friend • Print
YMCA: YMCA of Greater Springfield Inc.
Location: Springfield, MA
Job Description: Overview
The YMCA of Greater Springfield is seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO)to join our executive leadership team. This is a fast-paced role with the largest YMCA Association in Western Massachusetts! We take pride in being the largest non-school provider of education services in the State, one of the top 120 YMCAs in the country, and the 2nd oldest Association in the U.S.
As an employer focused on the well-being of body, mind, and spirit we offer a total compensation program focused on competitive benefits, flexibility, and pay.With over 161 years of excellence in developing youth, supporting healthy living, and demonstrating social responsibility, the YMCA of Greater Springfield is a place like no other! If you are interested in joining our team or advancing within the Y movement, this your opportunity to join the second-oldest YMCA in the country and the largest in Western Massachusetts!
Please note that the salary range for this position is $85,000 - $105,000.Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the Chief Financial Officer have been categorized under the subheadings of finance, budget management and development, staff management/development, membership/program services, fundraising, facility and additional responsibilities.
- Develop and maintain all necessary financial, accounting, recordkeeping, and information management systems in order to meet all legal, tax, and audit requirements.
- Administer all policies and systems related to Association purchase procedures in order to ensure maximum control and accountability as well as best available purchase price. Approve all purchase orders within a maximum dollar amount established by the President/CEO and Board of Directors.
- Develop monthly financial reports on the operating budget and distribute the reports to the President/CEO, Branch Executives, Department Heads and appropriate Staff by the 10th of the following month.
- Analyze all financial reports and recommend necessary corrective measures to ensure long and short-term Association financial objectives are achieved.
- Review and approve all contracts entered into by the Association to ensure their compliance with Association policy, governing entity requirements, proper pricing, and acceptable business practice.
- In consultation with the President/CEO and the Finance Committee, monitor the outside investment counselor to ensure maximum return is achieved consistent with stated Association investment policies.
Budget Management and Development
- Initiate, design, and administer the annual operating budget preparation and review process.
- The CFO must closely scrutinize all aspects of the budget preparation and review in order to identify errors in calculation or assumption and to pinpoint risk areas. However, the approved budget, as well as the budget review, must at all times have a high level of ownership from all Department Heads (managers) and Branch Executives.
Staff Management / Development
- Lead and supervise all Business Office and Human Resource staff.
- Approve the selection of FT and Exempt staff positions.
- Implements Association personnel policies and procedures.
- Review and evaluate staff using predetermined goals and objectives.
- Coach and train staff in skill and personal development areas as needed.
- Encourage staff to participate in professional and technical activities, which provide professional and personal growth.
- Provides leadership to Association Executive Directors.
Membership / Program Services
- Provides strong leadership in developing and supporting major membership strategies: understanding the value of YMCA membership, and the ability to grow and retain members.
- Provide revenue growth targets in areas of membership, programs, contributed support, and education enrollments.
- Ensures communication to members is effective and professional.
- Directs and monitors the Associations Long Range/ Strategic Process - ensures tactical objectives are in synch with strategic goals.
- Provides consultative assistance to Family Center staff and boards in the development and implementation of capital campaign projects and expenditures.
- Provides leadership in Scholarship Fundraising Campaigns to ensure campaign success.
- Interpret and communicate the objectives, programs, and long range vision of the Association to the community: Dollars Raised (Capital, Scholarship), Number of Donors, Board Development.
- Develop and monitor long-range facility plans. Assist Family Center director in determining priorities short-term and long-term projects.
- Provides direction and assistance as necessary to the Association Vice President of Facilities.
- Responsible for the oversight of policies, procedures, and protection in a manner that protects the Association.
- Responsible for securing and administering appropriate insurance for the Association.
KASH (Knowledge - Attitude - Skills and Habits)
- Identifies, establishes and maintains strategic linkages with businesses, organizations, local government agencies, groups and individuals within the community whose influence, support and /or assistance are or could be of value to the operations of the Association.
- Participates in appropriate professional organizations and is available as an "expert speaker, organizer or participant" in areas related to the services provided by the YMCA.
- Promotes a professional work environment.
- Demonstrates commitment to the total organization by understanding the Association's Vision, Mission, and Strategic Goals, Structure.
- Establishes visibility and role as a resource to other staff.
- Builds positive relationships with other Association staff members; shares information with appropriate associates; willingly cooperates with others in the Association.
- Projects integrity and personal values that create and build trust; follows through on commitments; evokes the highest standards of professional ethics.
- Resolves conflict by constructive problem solving; maintains productive working relationships while mediating or resolving differences; proposes win-win solutions.
- Demonstrates effective and persuasive communication (both oral and written); expresses ideas in clear, thorough yet concise manner; actively listens to others.
- Provides leadership to drive ONE ASSOCIATION.
Bachelor's degree in management, business or related field preferred.
Certified Public Accountant preferred.
8-10 Years of management in finance and business experience, multi-locations preferred.
Risk management and personnel experience preferred.
Experience in working closely with non-profit Boards of Directors and volunteer leadership committees preferred.
- Understand the broad overview of the goals and purposes of the YMCA of Greater Springfield and the Y Movement.
- Exceptional customer relations focused attitude.
- Strong focus on critical problem solving.
- Willingness to work in a team-centric environment.
- Leadership mentality and a"Heart for people, but mind for business" mentality.
- Strong developmental and learning attitude.
- Strong knowledge of MIP SAGE and Paychex.
- Strong knowledge of Word, Powerpoint, and Excel required.
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and present complex financial data that spans multiple entities and stakeholders.
- Ability to learn, operate, and navigate various web-based platforms.
- Ability to direct and answer calls on a high-volume, multi-line phone.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal, written, presentation, and facilitation).
- Strong influencing ability, combined with a balance of analytical and pragmatic approach.
- Must be capable of working under pressure in a somewhat disruptive environment, while remaining professional and exhibiting an upbeat attitude.
- Must be able to multi-task and work under time constraints.
Effective persuasive communication skills, the ability to make presentations to management, public groups, executives and Boards of Directors;
The ability to successfully perform job functions independent of daily supervision.
Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities
Ability to effectively organize and plan for daily, monthly, and yearly events
- Must have attention to detail.
- Must complete successful criminal background check.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. We promote an equal employment opportunity work place which includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified disabled applicants and employees. Please see your hiring manager should you have any questions about this policy or these job duties.
- This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.
Effect on End Result
- Must be willing to travel with in western Massachusetts region
- Must have valid drivers license
- May be required to sit for extended periods of time while demonstrating manual dexterity in order to accurately work on the phone, computer keyboard, and other equipment.
- Must possess auditory, verbal and visual capabilities in order to adequately communicate via phone and in person.
This position has a primary impact on the overall effectiveness with which the Family Centers accomplish purpose, goals and objectives in serving the community. Therefore, the effectiveness of this position should be measured by the following:
- The Association will increase revenue from operations from the prior year.
- The community will better understand the YMCA programs and the need to support them.
- The members will better understand the YMCA's charitable mission.
- The Association will achieve specific participation/attendance figures in key program areas.
Salary: $85,000 - $105,000
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered, please go to http://www.springfieldy.org/about-us/employment/ and submit your information through our recruiting portal. Please note that any applications or resumes that are received via paper or any source other than that listed above will not be reviewed.
Apply Online: http://www.springfieldy.org/about-us/employment/
Resumes until: 11/30/2013
Contact: Nickolaus Haenchen